Tuesday, September 14, 2010

Fall Pumpkin Harvest

We went back home to Michigan this past weekend and did a little fall yard work. On the agenda was harvesting pumpkins. I wish I had pictures of everyone actually in the patch but at the time it was thundering and the rain was picking up. We ended up with 18 Jack O'Latern pumpkins of varying sizes this year. One pumpkin is not pictured because mice decided it would be a tasty treat and really ate some huge holes in it!


My daughter claimed this one. She may need to fight the grasshopper for it!


The rest of the harvest. Some are pretty scarred from mouse bites (just a little added extra character!).


The grasshopper wanted his/her closeup. They are pretty big this year!

Overall a good pumpkin season for us. I brought a couple back to Chicago, one for us and one for the little boy who loves our Emma (the bulldog).  Their family is on a very limited budget and they will love it.

Have a great day!!!
Hugs!
Kim

6 comments:

Amanda Weezie said...

Stopping by for the Fall gift exchange. I am so excited to get to know you. Hope you are having a great day and have a blessed rest of the week.
http://alwayscoveredbyhisgrace.blogspot.com/

Linda ★ Parker's General said...

Pumpkins are high and scarce around here this season. They say some kind of fungus took out thousands of acres this year in Illinois and they are the largest producer of Pumpkins in the US. Squash bugs got ours. I got 2 little tiny miniature pumpkins and a few gourds. Oh, well.....guess my grands will have to look to someone else for their pumpkins! Yours are beautiful.
The grasshopper made me smile with good memories. We had an old dog named Audry that loved to eat the grasshoppers off the grill of the truck. Yep, she preferred them 'grilled'. LOL Quite the dog....
Thanks!
★Linda★

GARAGE SALE GAL said...

Hi Kim :)
I think 18 pumpkins is good and how kind of you to bring one for the little boy! I like grasshoppers and found a brass one at an estate sale!
I didn't plant any pumpkins this year.
Warmly,
deb :0

tincanlily said...

I need to get some pumpkins this weekend. I am excited to see how they will look against the new house color! I am sure your neighbors will love the pumpkin. We do not have a lot of grasshoppers in my neck of the woods. Lots of "daddy long legs" this summer!
denise

Kelli said...

Looks like your daughter picked the perfect pumpkin!!! I still need to get some pumpkins, hopefully I can work on that this weekend!

Kelli
xoxo
loveoursimplelife.blogspot.com

Wendy @ Ramblings from the Sunshine State said...

They look great!! Some of mine are a little chewed on, too. Stupid bugs!!