Saturday, December 13, 2008

Miracle Man


The doctor's at Tallahassee Memorial Medical Center have said we have witnessed a miracle. On December 5th my dad went to the Emergency Room with an Abodominal Aortic Aneurysm the size of a soft ball and it had already ruptured. We were told it was very iffy he'd make it and if he did he may not have kidney function and he may be partially paralyzed. The ER consulted with the vascular surgeons and it was decided that the top dogs (AKA the steak and potatoes of the vascular surgeons, as the nurse told my dad) would do the surgery. The surgery was suppose to last 3 1/2-4 hours and they were done in 2 1/2 hours. During the surgery they clamped of all the blood supply to his lower body to be able to make the repair. Once we knew he was out of surgery and still alive we made our flights to Florida. When we got to the ICU the next morning (Saturday) they had already removed his respirator and he was breathing on his own, moving his legs, producing urine and talking! We were shocked! We were told the respirator would be in place for about 3-4 days but he only had it less than 12 hours. On Sunday, he had a setback. During the surgery his lung was punctured because they moved his organs around and because of the length of the incision everything was pulled about. They placed a chest tube and he did well with that. By Tuesday night he was up and walking, by Wednesday he was eating, Thursday the chest tube came out and he was off all monitors and sent to a regular room. Friday morning he came home, one full week ahead of schedule. All the doctor's who came in told us we witnessed a miracle and if his belly flap hadn't been covering the rupture and putting pressure on it, he would have died. He did lose 2 liters of blood and was given 4 pints of blood. He went home with no medications but very strict restrictions for his activity level. He can only walk, sit and sleep. He cannot lift anything heavier than a remote control for 4-6 weeks. So, it will be a slow recovery but he is recovering! PRAISE GOD!!!

Yesterday, after dropping my dad off at home, I flew home to Michigan. We will be stopping back to visit when we go down for our scheduled vacation on the 26th. It was one whirlwind and exhausting trip!

I will be trying to catch up at home now and getting ready for Christmas. I will be trying to catch up with all of you soon!

Hugs to all!!!!



belladella said...

Oh my goodness. That is indeed a true miracle. God was definitely watching out for him. I hope you are taking good care of yourself too and it is good to hear from you.

Much love,

Michelle said...

Rejoicing in your miracle with you! So glad your dad is doing all right.

Wendy said...

I'm glad he is okay!!

Lisa B. said...

Wow!!! Thank God he's ok!! I wondered what had happened to I know. You must be exhausted! I'm glad your dad is doing ok and that you will get to see him again so soon.

Theresa @ Take A Sentimental Journey said...

Wow Kim. Praise the lord ! it's like I say all the time, the Lord is still in the miracle business !


Hi Kim,
I missed you and was wondering if everything was okay...WOW God is so Good and I am so happy that everything is okay. I hope that everything will settle down.
May your Christmas to Merry and filled with PEACE, LOVE and JOY.

Dawn said...

That is certainly a miracle if you ask me. Your dad is surely blessed. I hope his recovery continues to be a quick one for him.

take care,

Anonymous said...

Hi Kim! So glad you are safely back home! What a time you had; and again, I'm glad your Dad is back home and recovering well! Now you MUST try and relax!!!! Have a peaceful week - Sincerely, Jeannette

jet1960 said...

That is indeed a miracle! Working in a hospital lab, we sometimes deal with this, thankfully rarely at the small place I work at. They will be people that come in for abdominal pain and the the aneurysm is discovered during tests to find out what is wrong. Once found as in your Dad's case, there is not much time and so they end up operating at our small hospital. Lots of times the patients don't make it. They will lose a lot of blood, requiring extensive transfusions of blood products.

For your Dad to get as little as he did and to survive and recover as he has, IS miraculous! Praise God! Will still lift him up in prayer for his continued recovery.

Joy said...

Kim, that is truly miraculous! So happy for you, your dad and your family.

Anonymous said...

Hi again! I can totally understand why you have brain fog!! You've been through a lot of emotional stress this month!! Just take your time everything will be there when the fog clears. Always glad to hear from you! I'm having a nervous breakdown right now cuz my daughter is on her way to work and her area is having freezing rain! I'm sure I'll be totally grey by new years!lol Have a great night - Til Later - Sincerely Jeannette

Scooterblu's Whimsy~Rhonda said...

Hi Kim, Praise God, indeed! What a wonderful testament of our Great Physician! Hope your dad continues to improve! ~hugs, Rhonda :)

Pink Slippers said...

What a wonderful miracle. Praise God.

celestina marie said...

Hi Kim, I am so glad to hear that your dad came through his surgery well. He must really be a strong man. Thank God for his miracles and blessings. I know you are probably tired, but I am sure you are blessed to receive an early Christmas present in your dad's recovery.
Prayers for you and your family.

Thank you for stopping by and best wishes for a special Christmas.
hugs, Celestina

Rechelle ~Walnuthaven Cottage~ said...

Omgosh! Miracle indeed! I will be praying for your dad and you as well. Just amazing that he is doing so well after such an experience. Praise God!


Thank God for miracles!

We wish you and your family a very joyful and Merry Christmas!

Love and blessings,